Star Wars "Backstroke of the West"-style Subtitles
by Wei-Hwa Huang (December 30, 2012)
- What are these?
- These are SubRip-formatted subtitle files for five Star Wars movies, in similar style to Star War The Third Gathers: The Backstroke of the West.
- Too many links. Can you give me a short synopsis?
- Someone found a bootlegged Chinese DVD of Star Wars Episode III with horrendously bad yet funny English subtitles, that probably were created when someone took the Chinese subtitles and sent them through a low-quality machine translator. (This was the source of the Do Not Want meme, by the way.) One of the files (Episode III) is the original; the others are generated by me.
- How did you make these?
- Found some Chinese subtitle files and sent them through a free, on-line, low-quality translation server. Made a few small adjustments, mostly in timing. I won't mention which one because it might embarrass them. (It wasn't Google or Babelfish; the results weren't hilarious enough.) You can tell the translation isn't as bad as the original, but some have found the results more hilarious. YMMV.
- Why did you make these?
- We were doing a Star Wars movie marathon at my house and I thought this would be fun. It was.
- What edition Star Wars?
- The 1997 "Special Edition". I think. I'm not enough of a Star Wars geek to be absolutely sure.
- Where's Episode I?
- Didn't bother. We were watching the movies in Machete Order.